Career In Computer Engineering: A developed country is one where education is the prime focus of the youth of that country. From a very young age, children should be allowed to explore their choice of career. You should let them fiddle with the thought of achieving the unattainable. You should not curb their aspiration. They should be allowed to follow their dreams.
With the growth in the economy, new career options are sprouting for millennials. The current generation is lucky enough to choose from a wide range of careers to pursue. However, with the global advancement, there is an upsurge of demand in technological professions. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) predicts that the need for computer engineers is likely to double during the next six to eight years. Thus, a career in computer engineering is the most viable option for those who aspire to earn $ 60,000 to $65,000 as their starting salaries.
Recommended Reading On: Computer Organization and Architecture Handwritten Notes
What Does Career In Computer Engineering Mean?
If you are fascinated by how the computer system works, then you have the aptitude for computer engineering. CE is a branch of engineering that involves fields related to the development of hardware and software aspects of a computer. It is a combination of computer science and electronic engineering. Furthermore, computer science incorporates computer architecture, which also involves computer programming and operating system. It is application-based engineering, which is integrated into an operating system of equipment and technical instruments.
What Is The Job Profile of a Computer Engineer?
The job profile of a computer engineer involves developing and designing the computer system, its memory capacity, processors, circuit boards, and networks. Their job description entails developing software for application domains. The tasks include chip designing, testing systems, inspecting software, and performing very-large-scale integration. As a computer science engineer, you may need to conduct validation testing of tools and develop a new software system. Your job responsibilities will require you to design algorithms and measure tools. Your efforts would be to channelize to incorporate technology in the day-to-day life of every individual. Computer engineers are the main contributors to global technological advancement and modernization.
What Are The Basic Qualifications To Become A Computer Engineer?
You are required to earn a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in computer science or computer engineering to become a computer engineer. You can further pursue a master’s degree in a similar field to gain an edge over other candidates who apply for the same position. It would best if you keep yourself updated with the latest technological advancement taking place in the industry. Apart from your degree, you would need to impress the panel of interviewers with your communication and interpersonal skills. You need to showcase your analytical abilities and innovative thinking to approach any problem. Furthermore, you should have excellent team spirit and leadership qualities if you want to excel in the field of computer science engineering.
Where Can You Apply?
Several universities around the globe offer B.E. and M.E. programs in computer science engineering.
Universities that offer Computer Science Engineering in India
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)
- National Institute of Technology (NIT)
- Delhi Technological University (DTU)
- Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology (IIIT)
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITs)
- Manipal University
- Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT)
- Amity University
- Madras Institute of Technology
- Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology (TIET)
Universities Abroad that offer Computer Science Engineering
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- The California Institute of Technology (Caltech)
- Stanford University, California
- The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- University of British Columbia (UBC)
- University of California, Berkeley
- Princeton University
- University of Cambridge
- University of Oxford
- University of Washington
What Is The Admission Criteria?
The eligibility criteria and admission process for B.E programs in India are listed below.
- You need a certificate of 12th class examinations or its equivalent from a recognized Central or State board with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as main subjects.
- You should be fluent in English.
- You should have scored a minimum of 75% in class 12th examination.
- You would have to give the Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Main and Advance to qualify for an Indian University. JEE Mains exam takes place twice – January and April. If you clear this, you would be eligible for JEE Advance. Apart from this, you may need to appear for the specific exam conducted by the universities for admission.
The eligibility criteria and admission process to apply for B.E programs in universities abroad are listed below.
- You can fill an online application and submit your SAT and SAT subject test scores if applying to a university in the United States.
- The online application procedures abroad usually start in September.
- You would have to demonstrate English proficiency to meet the requirements of universities abroad.
- You would have to provide information regarding the academic and extra-curricular activities that you have done during high school.
- You can also apply for a scholarship if you have commendable academic background along with extra-curricular and community involvement.
Computer Science Engineering Internship
As per the course curriculum, you would have to undergo an internship with an organization that is related to computer science engineering. Depending upon your syllabus, you may need to get hands-on experience in designing, building, and testing both hardware and software systems. You would require to earn credit for work experience in your second year, third year, or fourth year of your computer engineering course. The duration of the internship could vary between two months to six months, depending upon the company. It will help you to expose yourself to the professional world. Some organizations offer a stipend of INR 20,000/- per month. If you out-perform, you are most likely to get a lucrative offer from the same company. There are several internships in the field of computer science engineering for you to explore. They include:\
- Machine learning
- Web development
- Java engineering
- Hardware engineering
- Software engineering
- Robotic engineering and many more
It is needless to say that interviewers will give preference to those candidates who possess about three years’ experience in a similar field.
If you have an inclination towards computing and have a scientific bend of mind, you would not miss the opportunity to explore computer engineering as your ultimate career option.